Spicy Honey Fish
I don’t work on short notices… Really, I wish I can, it is a dream for me but trust me when it comes to short notices I am a mess. You have to understand I am not the perfect Orange County Housewife (do they really exist), my mascara is always smudge, incase if I have it on. My everyday clothes; well they are clean but usually not very exciting and definitely not a fashion statement. My desk, well I work and the mess is the proof of it!!! So if you plan to visit me just make sure to give me little time so I can be a perfect lady like to welcome you with a perfect smile and absolutely perfect Mascara..
However when it comes to food, I do really well even with short notices. Blame it on the hungry monster inside me, who practically comes out with any notice or on the no-brainer and absolutely delicious recipes I have in my secret file; Food is no issue at all!!
Today’s recipe is master piece from my secret file… Spicy Honey Fish, deliciousness in no time at all! I love this quick and easy fish, it come together practically in less than 15 minutes, yes Less than 15 minutes. Any firm white fish like cod, halibut or sea bass, works well as it’s can hold it shape while frying. Combination of sweetness from honey and heat from chili paste/sauce creates an interesting drama of flavors in this dish. Enjoy it with steamed rice or noodles or with some green, this dish is perfect for any meal in any season.
- 3, 4oz fillets of cod (or any firm white fish of your choice).
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely minced.
- Oil for frying + 1 tablespoon.
- 2 scallions, chopped.
- Lemon juice for sprinkling on the top.
Marinade for the fish-
- ½ teaspoon red chili paste/sauce.
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon lime/lemon juice.
- ¼ teaspoon salt.
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour.
- 1 tablespoon corn flour/cornstarch.
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce.
- 1 teaspoon chili paste/sauce.
- 2 tablespoons honey.
- ½ teaspoon corn flour/starch diluted in 2 tablespoon of water.
- Cut the fillets of fish into 1 inch pieces. In a bowl add the fish along with all the ingredients for marinade. Mix well and keep aside.
- In a large wok or skillet heat about 2 ½ - 3 inches of oil or enough needed to fry the fish. Once the oil is hot fry the fish pieces until they start to turn golden brown; about 3-4 minutes. Take the fried fish peices out on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Blend all the ingredients for sauce except corn flour/cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water, keep aside. In another pan or skillet heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a medium heat, add minced garlic and stir-fry for about 30 seconds. Now add the sauce blend and cook for 1-2 minutes, keep stirring. Finally add the fried fish to the sauce, stir gently so as the fish get well coated with the sauce. Add the diluted corn flour/cornstarch, give everything a last stir, and toss in the chopped scallions and sprinkle lemon juice.
- Serve hot, Enjoy!