Potato Eggplant Surprise
With my sister in town and Thanksgiving around, I am sure having a week filled with emotions and fun and anxiety and goose bums. Long night chats, beautiful drives and two sisters giggling over anything and everything is the highlight of this week.
This Thanksgiving I am thankful for all the love I am blessed with, my family, my friends and you all, Thank you for making my life so blessed and beautiful!!
I’ll keep it short and quickly share today’s recipe with you all. Let’s add a little twist to everyone’s favorite potatoes on the holiday table. This recipe for “Potato and Eggplant Surprise” is a perfect way of adding some new flavors and fun. A sure bliss, really fast and easy to make and great to taste; this dish works perfectly as a side or as a main dish for an elegant vegetarian feast…
So wishing you all a beautiful Thanksgiving; I wish your day and year is filled with good food, great friends love and laughter always… Amen!
- 8-10 small eggplants.
- 3 potatoes, medium size.
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (use less if you like less heat)
- 1 teaspoon sumac (optional)
- Salt and pepper as per taste.
- Lime juice (for sprinkling on top)
- ¼ cup of chopped cilantro.
- Rinse and peel the potatoes and cut them into strip of about ¼ inch of thickness, just like you would cut them for French fries. Soak them in water and keep them aside.
- Wash the eggplants and cut them lengthwise into quarters, I like to keep the stem intact but you can cut it off if you want, in a separate bowl add water and soak the eggplant in it. Keep aside.
- Once ready to cook, drain the potatoes and eggplant well.
- Heat a large wok/skillet preferably non-stick, add oil and once the oil is heated add cumin seeds. Fry the cumin for 30 seconds and then add the potatoes and the eggplants. Stir everything well and cover the skillet.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and let the vegetable cook for 6-8 minutes. Make sure to stir them at least 2-3 times while they are cooking, so they cook evenly.
- Once the potatoes and eggplants are done, remove the lid and increase the heat to medium-high for the last few minutes of cooking to crisp up everything.
- Add salt, red pepper flakes, black pepper and sumac. Give a quick stir. Finally sprinkle the limejuice and cilantro and serve it hot