I know everyone has a favorite citrus tart. Lime, lemon, orange; whatever it may be but it is very special, the best, isn’t it? Well my dear friend this is my special jewel. This Orange Tart holds a special place in my repertoire; this is actually the very first tart I ever baked. I have strongly believe baking a perfect looking and tasting tart is nothing less than an artistic expression; from the perfect crust to the delicious filling, a tart is truly a dessert of perfection.
This orange tart conquers all the landmarks of perfection and trust me this baby may look very difficult to get together but rather it is astonishingly easy to make. I like to make this in steps, making different part of the entire tart. Once everything is all ready, it is just about assembling, baking and enjoying. The orange slices are slowly cooked in syrup and then baked, making them absolutely delicious and edible along with the skin.
- All purpose flour – 1 ½ cup.
- Salt – ½ tsp.
- Butter – 4 Tbsp cold cut into small pieces.
- Veg shortening – 3 Tbsp.
- Water cold – 2-4 Tbsp just to bind the dough together
For Orange Syrup-
- Orange juice – 1 cup.
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Navel oranges – 2
- Prepared orange syrup.
- Butter – 5 Tbsp.
- Sugar – ½ cup.
- Egg – 2
- Orange syrup – 3 Tbsp.
- Almond flour – 5 Tbsp.
- Flour – 2 tsp
Apricot Jam Glaze
- Apricot jam – 3 Tbsp.
- Sift the flour and salt together. Add butter and shortening and mix it with flour till it look like a crumbly mixture. I prefer doing this with pastry cutter, you can do this by hand or food processor.
- Add just enough water to bind the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and keep in refrigerator for minimum 30 minutes.
Preparing Orange Syrup-
- Combine sugar and orange juice in a saucepan, boil it for 10- 12 minutes till it get a thick consistency
Preparing Orange Slices-
- Cut the navel oranges into round slices. Do not peel the oranges.
- Add the orange slice to the prepared orange syrup and let it simmer for 15 minutes on low heat. Gently shake the pan from time to time to get syrup over all the oranges. You can also stir the oranges very gently to make sure all the oranges get enough time in syrup.
- After 15 minutes remove the orange slices from the syrup and put them on a rack to let them cool. Keep the syrup aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Once the slices are cool cut them in halves, arrange the cut slices on a baking sheet.
- Bake them in 400 F oven for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and let them cool.
Almond Orange Filling-
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and the orange syrup and mix well.
- Finally add the almond flour and plain flour, gently fold them in with the other ingredients.
For Apricot Jam Glaze-
- Take apricot jam and melt it gently on low heat. Keep aside
Assembling the Tart-
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Roll the out the dough on a floured surface, transfer it to a 11 inch tart pan with removable bottom. Fit the dough into the tart pan, pressing against the sides of the pan. Cut the excess dough hanging over the sides.
- Brush the crust with apricot glaze.
- Finally layer the almond-orange filling in the tart. Using spatula spread evenly. Bake in 400 F oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile boil the remaining orange syrup to a very thick consistency, keep aside and let it cool.
- Once the tart is baked, remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Once cooled arrange the orange slices on the tart and brush the orange slices with orange syrup. This step is optional.
- Serve and Enjoy!!!