Sorry this post was supposed to be up on Wednesday but I had been baking and testing a Pandora box of recipes like a mad scientist and was practically under the loads of scattered flour and dirty pans and pots. I know you must be thinking why am I posting non-baking recipe when I am talking about them. Well between all the baking and cleaning and all the craziness recipes like this “Orange Beef” are my to go dinner/lunch fixes; not only they taste good but they are so easy to make too. Perfect when you are in middle of flour/pots and pan or anything that is leaving you with no time on hand. This Orange Beef is a fun, easy, fast and delicious. Serve it noodles, rice or some steamed veggies and this will make a perfect meal in no time. I like adding mushrooms and scallions but if you want you can add some more veggies like carrots, bell peppers, zucchini etc. Marinating the beef for 15-20 minutes is all you need. But if you want you can marinate it over-night in the refrigerator. Trust me it cannot get any easier than this. So have fun and relax over the weekend and try this recipe, I am sure you will enjoy it. Also sorry for crazy lighting in these pictures, I am having a hard time with the lighting in my home. Trying to find a nice place n time for perfect light with the summer sun showing no mercy…
- 1 pound of stir-fry beef
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced (I use cremini)
- 3-4 stalks scallions, chopped into 2inch pieces
- 2-3 tablespoons of oil
- Few slices of oranges, for garnish (optional)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry (you can use plain vinegar if you don’t want alcohol)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1-2 tablespoon chili sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a clean non-reactive bowl mix all the ingredients for the marinade well. Add the beef and toss it well with the marinade, so all beef pieces are well covered with the marinade. Let the beef marinate for 15-20 minutes at the room temperature. If you want to marinate it for a longer period cover the bowl and keep it in refrigerator.
- Once ready to cook, heat a large wok on high heat until smoking. Now add the oil, and then add the marinated beef along with the marinade. Stir-fry the beef for 3-5 minutes, until it starts to get brown on the surface. Remove the beef on a platter.
- Place the wok back on the heat and add the mushrooms. Stir-fry the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes or until they are soft and brown; add a little splash of water to create some steam to cook mushrooms a little more. Once all the moisture is dried out from the mushrooms, add stir-fried beef back to the wok along with the chopped scallion. Stir-fry for another minute or two. Serve it on a serving platter. Garnish it with sliced oranges if you like. Serve immediately.