Meatball Marinara Bites
I still have to wrap all the present but before I do that I have to buy the presents. Yes I am the one who is hopping and shopping till they start closing the mall. I am the one who is still not done and heads to Ralphs n Walgreens to grab wrapping papers and zillion more things on my list that are still staring at me. Yes I am the one who makes holiday much more adventures and fun… I am the one who is always late but in the end always get everything done!!
And one more thing! I am the one who always make these delicious “Meatball Marinara Bites” and trust me these are FUN!
Simple and delicious, these little bites of crostini are topped with meatball wrapped in luscious sauce and gooey cheese are absolutely perfect. This is an appetizer that can be made well in advance and assembled right before serving. You can make any kind of meatballs and use homemade marinara sauce if you want. I use ground beef for this recipe and use ready-made marinara sauce that I jazz up with little garlic and red peppers.
So this holiday season, hop and shop and share with your family, friends and those who are less fortunate. Bring joy and happiness in everyone’s life you touch! And do not forget to make these delicious bites for your family and friends!!
- ¼ cup of shredded mozzarella
- Basil leaves for garnish.
- For Crostini’s
- Fresh baguette, sliced (15-20 slices).
- Olive oil.
- 1 lb. ground beef (I use 90% lean).
- ¼ cup bread crumbs.
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus little extra for pan-frying the meatballs.
- For Marinara Sauce –
- 1 18oz bottle of store bought marinara
- 1 clove garlic minced.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin oil
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For making the meatballs, mix all the ingredients just until they are well combined. Make about 18-20 meatballs.
- In a large frying pan preferably non-stick heat some oil, enough to coat the surface of the pan. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and well cooked, about 9-11 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a large baking sheet place the sliced bread pieces and drizzle them with olive oil and bake them till they start to turn golden brown and get crispy, about 7-8 minutes.
- For Sauce, in saucepan heat oil and add the garlic, stir-fry for 15-20 seconds. Add the store bought and basil leaves; let it simmer for 4-5 minutes. Finally sprinkle red pepper flakes.
- On a baking sheet place the toasted crostini’s, spread little sauce over each and place a meatball on each. Add little more sauce on top of meatball if you like and sprinkle it with cheese. Put it under the broiler or in a very hot oven for the cheese to melt. Garnish with basil and serve hot.